Thursday, February 28, 2013

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears

Even before our 2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears arrived, WOT staffers were already preparing their wish list of modifications — bigger tires, new suspension, forced induction, and exhaust upgrades, just to name a few possibilities. I was both hopeful and worried—does the FR-S really need all that stuff?

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears



2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears

 2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears

2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears

 


 2013 Scion FR-S Long-Term Update 1 Our Hopes and Fears

 My first stint in the FR-S was a fairly tame icebreaker. A search for local autocross events came up short and a weekend FR-S meet I discovered in an online forum was cancelled due to some much-needed rain here in Southern California. Thankfully, the 2013 Scion FR S rear horizon shot 300x187 imagesun emerged before it was time for me to hand the keys over to the next WOT staffer, giving me the opportunity to explore a back road I last visited with our long-term Nissan GT-R. I had fun in the Nissan and the Scion, but I’m pretty sure Godzilla was bored since I wasn’t prepared to get a speeding ticket or take it to the racetrack. Turn after turn, the GT-R was unfazed, with its all-wheel-drive wizardry doing much of the work.

The FR-S, on the other hand, was more engaging. As we’ve reported many times before, the steering is razor sharp and inducing oversteer is predictable. And unlike the GT-R’s flappy paddles (which I’m sure I’d appreciate more on a track), rowing through the Scion’s gears was much more fun.

“It’s close to perfect right out of the box,” road test editor Scott Mortara said to another staffer while discussing the FR-S. “It doesn’t need a thing.”

2013 Scion FR S front 300x187 imageSure, the 2013 Scion FR-S exists as a blank slate for enthusiasts and tuners, and we’ve already seen plenty of impressive work. Still, I agree with Mortara. The FR-S is close to perfect and I can appreciate the years of work Toyota chief engineer Tetsuya Tada and his team put into the 2+2 coupe (yes, even the Prius-sourced Michelin Primacy tires).

However, I am not completely opposed to modifications. A new exhaust system would be a good start since the stock units on our FR-S don’t look nearly as good as the beefier exhaust tips used on the Toyota GT86 sold in other markets, and I wouldn’t mind a louder exhaust note.

Want more updates on our long-term 2013 Scion FR-S? Stay tuned as we share details about our experience with the car most Wednesdays, only on WOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment